Probate For Real Estate Only - Tressler & Associates, PLLC
[email protected]

212 N. Castle Heights Ave | Lebanon, TN or 2323 21st Ave South STE 506 | Nashville, TN

probate for real estate
Probate For Real Estate Only

Probate For Real Estate Only

Think about a married couple. When the first spouse dies, often the vast majority of assets are titled in both of their names. Therefore, everything passes to the surviving spouse without probate. However, what if the deceased spouse owned a piece of land the other spouse never had any involvement with? What if the only thing probate court needs to distribute in a decedent’s estate is real estate? Do you have to go through the entire probate process for real estate alone? Can you just sign some type of Deed? 

The short answer to those questions: no and no. Thankfully, in Tennessee, we have a procedure that is specifically designed to deal with transferring real estate from a decedent’s name into the correct beneficiary’s name. This probate process for real estate is Probate for Muniment of Title. This type of limited probate process is basically three steps, but there are some important keys to remember. 

What is Probate for Muniment of Title?

Probate of any type is much simpler when there is an original will. Therefore, you would start by locating the original will and an original death certificate. Once you have located those and determine that the only asset to be distributed is real estate, you would need an attorney to take you through the Muniment of Title procedures.

We would start the process by filing a Petition for Muniment of Title with the Probate Court’s office and a hearing would be set. A notice is then sent to all beneficiaries and heirs-at-law that this hearing is occurring. Assuming all goes according to plan, the judge will sign the Order at the hearing. Once the court signs the Order, it will be recorded in the Register of Deeds. This recording will serve as evidence of the transfer of title.

Going Through Probate for Real Estate Property? Contact Tressler & Associates

Although probate in Tennessee is a relatively streamlined process, we are thankful that there is an even more streamlined process for real estate. Should you need assistance in transferring real estate out of a decedent’s name, please contact the estate planning attorney at Tressler & Associates. We’ll be glad to help.


business startup
5 Important Business Documents For a Startup

5 Important Business Documents For a Startup

September 20, 2022 | Business Law | Blog

Starting a new business is exciting. It’s taking your life path and swerving off to make a new one for…

Continue reading
lawsuit settlement money
When Should You Settle a Lawsuit?

When Should You Settle a Lawsuit?

September 9, 2022 | Civil Litigation | Blog

You’ve spent months and months of your life preparing for your lawsuit. Whether it be against a former employer, a…

Continue reading


If you are in need of legal services, our team of experienced attorneys is here to help! If you need a lawyer now or are just in need of general counsel, we are happy to discuss your needs with you.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.